Sunday, August 27, 2006

More ant blogs

I recently discovered several new blogs devoted to ant-y things and thought i would share them.

First is http://antbase.blogspot.com/ which is connected to antbase but apparently only has 2 posts as of this moment. I hope that changes soon because I enjoyed the two posts that were there.

From there I found biosyscontent and biodivcontext which are both written by Donat Agosti (the antbase blog is written by Donat and Roberto Keller). Both are still fairly sparse in entries, but hopefully that will change soon. I am a little unclear about the exact focus of both of these blogs -- he could really use some sort of subheading underneath the titles, but they are both clearly ant-aligned and interesting. It is nice to get some viewpoints from a senior myrmecologist who I assume has a lot more information on what's going on behind the scenes in the ant world. I myself have no idea what is going on. It is also nice to hear somebody willing to state a controversial position or bring to light a controversy. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just want to beef up on my myrmecological gossip. Or maybe it is just nice to have these controversies acknowledged publicly, like a dysfunctional family that can no longer ignore their issues. And hey, if people don't agree with what he is saying, start your own blog! In truth, I am somewhat astonished at the paucity of ant-related blogs. Sadly, I believe it is due mostly to the aging myrmecological community. I support any new ant content on the internet.

Anyway, I was then directed towards SemAnt and IPhylo, written by Roderic Page. These blogs seem to be more focused on computer interfaces to search or organize taxonomic data. Very interesting stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment